- The Texas Commission on Jail Standards will receive complaints of concern involving inmates in county jails or private correctional facilities that house county inmates and/or out-of-state inmates. Texas Department of Criminal Justice Facilities, city jails, juvenile facilities, and other privately operated facilities do not fall under our purview.
- If your complaint is submitted on-line, it is routed directly to the complaint inspector, executive director and assistant director. Your complaint will be handled by the TCJS complaint inspector.
- Your complaint will be entered into our agency database and appropriately designated.
- Depending on the nature of the complaint, the complaint inspector will contact the facility either by telephone, email, fax or in person.
- Please be aware that The Texas Commission on Jail Standards cannot investigate certain claims, these include:
- Violation of Civil Rights as defined by state or federal statute (ex. freedom of religion, age, race, etc.) Criminal acts committed by staff or others
- Unjust denial or restriction of privileges prior to a disciplinary hearing (visitation, phone access, commissary, etc.)
- Acts by staff prohibited by departmental policy.
- Staff conduct (rudeness, unprofessionalism, or being disrespectful).
- Concerns related to , your attorney, the judge, or your case.
- PREA (Prison Rape Elimination Act) Complaints
- Allegations of excessive force.
- Texas Department of Criminal Justice Facilities, city jails, juvenile facilities, and other privately operated facilities do not fall under our purview.
- Upon conclusion of the investigation, a written reply will be submitted to the original complainant with results of the investigation.
- If more than 30 days have elapsed, you may contact TCJS at 512-463-5505 to check on the status of your complaint. Complainants who disagree with the findings of the complaint inspector may appeal the Decision to the assistant director.
- The assistant director shall review the complaint and appeal and render a decision. The decision of the assistant director is final. The complainant shall be notified in writing of the decision. A sheriff/operator may also appeal the decision of the complaint inspector and seek further review; however, rules and procedures of Chapter 297 shall apply where applicable.
Complaints may be submitted on-line by submitting the form below, or you may submit a letter addressed to the Executive Director with the details of your complaint. Complaints by telephone will also be acknowledged. However, you will be asked to document your complaint in writing, and submit the attached online form or mail it to:
Texas Commission on Jail Standards
P.O. Box 12985
Austin, Texas 78711